Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Back at it

The Met has announced their 2008-09 season. Barenboim makes his Met debut conducting Tristan, Renée Fleming in Thaïs, and the final hurrah for the Otto Schenk Ring (Good lord - the video of that production is nearly 20 years old) are among the highlights. They're also doing a 125th anniversary gala where they'll be recreating scenes from famous past productions. Some of the featured productions include the unauthorized 1903 production of Parsifal, the 1910 world premiere of La Fanciulla del West and from the Met's 1883 opening night, Faust. And 10 HD movie theatre broadcasts.

Went on a bit of a spree and bought a bunch of opera DVDs including the Anna Netrebko Puritani and Fleming Onegin from last year's movie theatre broadcasts and the Bayreuth Barenboim Meistersinger (from 1999?). Also picked up the Anna Netrebko DVD The Woman, The Voice. I hear she's in this month's Playboy (interview only, you alley cats).

And the Kirchner/Rosalie Bayreuth Götterdämmerung rounded out the shopping trip. We've watched the first two acts so far. I'll post more about it later but for now all I say is every time I listen to Götterdämmerung, it never fails to astound. I love it more each time. Greatest thing ever.

1 comment:

Celular said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.