Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Anna wants to be naked

Here's a Times article from a couple of weeks ago in which Anna Netrebko declares

There is only one opera when you have to get naked, as far as I know: Salome. I want to do Salome, but it may be the last day of my career. It’s very big... I want to get naked on the stage!

Permit me to make a couple of suggestions. First, don't make it your last role. Bump it up 50 or 60 spots. Second, I think a full 2 1/2 hours of nudity while singing the Countess in Capriccio would probably fit her voice better.

Earlier in the article comes this:

In November, she sang for Martin Scorsese at the White House.

I had no idea Martin Scorsese was president. I've got to pay more attention: cable news has really given me the runaround on this one.

Update 2008-Jan-31 8:15AM - The nudity in the Dance in Salome isn't specifically called for - I think it's a relatively recent performing convention. Korngold's Das Wunder der Heliane, however, does specifically call for nudity. I can't think of any others off hand.

3 comments:

Marc Geelhoed said...

Well, there's a sex scene in Shostakovich's Lady Macbeth, which certainly implies nudity.

Jason said...

Yeah, there are a lot of scenes where nudity could work (a little in the opening scene of Rosenkavalier?), but I was thinking of cases where nudity is specifically called for...

Anonymous said...

What about Ginastera's Bomarzo?