Friday, May 25, 2007

Health Food


I have a bad habit of dividing up the music I listen to into "health food" and "junk food". Classical and opera falls into the first, everything else into the second. I thought of this again last night as I was going to bed. In my semi-hysterical exhaustion I had a half-formed thought along the lines of "time for some health food." Before falling asleep I listened to Richard Goode playing Bach's Partita No. 3 in A minor (BWV 827) and Rostropovich playing Britten's First Cello Suite. The health food/junk food distinction doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the music. It's more about the mental energy it takes for me to enjoy it: Parsifal takes more energy than Miles' On The Corner, for example.

I think I want to get out of this habit. I often want to listen to something classical, decide I don't have the energy, and put on King Crimson or Black Sabbath instead. I'm not sure if this is something real or if I'm just being too obsessive.

But then again, I get way more out of Parsifal than I do On The Corner. And following a fugue is harder than following a sax solo. You know, I don't have a bad habit. Never mind.

No comments: